Monday, November 21, 2011

Teen Diabetes Logic

"Before you go upstairs bring me in your meter."
"Well you see Mom, I've got some good news and some bad news for you."
"What do you mean?"
"Well you see there is good news and bad news.  The good news is that I have to do all my tests for the rest of the week! See, isn't that great news?"
"Huh? What is the bad news?"
"Well you see I am going to have to do all of my tests for the rest of the week because I missed a few tests today at school."

Back up the banana boat here! We have negotiated testing down to basically three tests per school day.  This is nowhere near my ideal but it works for him and is more than a reasonable request from me.  He must test as soon as he gets to school or at their first break.  This is about two hours or a little less after he eats his breakfast.  He is then to test before he eats his lunch--he is always to test before food hits his lips so how is this test ever missed? I don't know.  The final test is two hours after lunch or just before he gets on the bus.  Because of scheduling the two final time slots are basically the same.  We have a three strikes rule--miss three tests and you lose a privilege. If he has already missed two tests and he only had to test three times during the day....

"Did you test at all today???? Let me see that meter. What the heck is going on?" My mind was still reeling from trying to unravel his logic and what I was coming up with did not look good.

"I told you Mom, I have to test for the rest of the week but see I tested at 3 and I did test at 1.  I was pretty high then but we really don't know why because I kinda missed the morning test and the before lunch test but you see I do have to do all of my tests for the rest of the week.  That's a good thing."

THUD! Yes, that was the sound of my head hitting my desk in frustration. If only he could check his blood sugar levels as well as he rattled on with excuses and teen logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment