Tuesday, March 29, 2011

To log or not to log...

To log or not to log, that was the question. I am a die hard logger--not in the tree chopping sense but in the tree killing sense.  I need to see data on paper. I need to see readings, boluses, meals, and activity.  I cannot just download the meter and down load the pump.  I want to see everything altogether.

My son on the other hand has no interest in logging. It is a chore worse than making his bed or picking up his dead socks off of the floor. I nag.  Eventually he fills out the book. He does it for a day or two. I get excited that he may have turned over a new leaf. I relax. Time passes, he ignores the book. I nag and so the cycle goes. 

This weekend it all came to a head. Sitting up at 3am, I decided to look at his log book.There was only one entry out of five days.  I then proceeded to remove the Internet access to his Xbox.  I was tired of asking him to do things (not just the log book) and getting no response. It was time to get his attention...and I did!

After a few hours of sleep, I began to wonder if this was a battle that I should be waging. He is testing. He is bolusing. Does logging really matter? Of course it does!! but that's just me.  It turns out that most people in the diabetes community seem to side with my son.  They feel that the occasional download of meters and pumps is fine and paper is a waste of their time.  I spent the rest of the day wondering what would work for us. 

I know that one day he will take over everything and a log book will never touch his hands. I also know that sitting with him, looking over the log helps us to learn.  I would love a program that had everything I needed.  One that integrated the pump and the meter AND food AND activity or errors.  I have not found one and if I did, would I use it?

I spent the better part of a day thinking, wondering, pondering.  People had made some great points but what was right for us? That night we sat down with his paper log.  I made comments with my son beside me.  I quizzed him on what to do and why.  We made a few changes.  As I closed up the book, I knew what was right for us. 

The log book would stay.  Mom would write in it just as much as the child (or more).  She would ask for his help but would take over the bulk of it. It was her tool.  She would use it to teach and if he decided to log when on his own?  Well it would be up to him.  There will be many more tools available by then and I am sure that being a child of his generation, he will embrace new technology. Being just an old mom, I will stick with the paper for the time being until someone creates my ultimate diabetes trending tool.

1 comment:

  1. I am a pen/paper girl and then I highlight the highs in orange AND the lows in blue - helps me see trends. I am soooo old school on this issue. Great post!

    ReplyDelete