Monday, March 7, 2011

Diabetes on snowmobile

What a day! Saturday was sunny and the air was crisp.  Larry was up before the birds and proclaiming that this would be a day that we would enjoy to the fullest.  Before my eyes were fully open, he was moving the boy toys around to fit the quad in the back of the truck and hook up the trailer with the snowmobile.  My son and I were moving a lot slower but quickly picked up his enthusiasm in not wanting to waste one of the best days of the winter.

Before we left the house, my child and I went through our own checklist...
How much insulin do you have?
Full cartridge. Battery life is good. Twenty test strips will get me through the day but I don't have hand wash.
Have hand wash. Should we bring an syringe in case your pump dies?
We never bring a syringe for trips like this.
But what if???
Okay, we are ready to go.

And go we did.  We took the machines to our drop off point and didn't return until after supper.  Larry was off on quad and my son was my chauffeur on the snow machine.  After flying over one jump, "just to loosen up the track, Mom", I was a half inch shorter and yelling his full name (you know that means trouble!). Despite the rough start, the rest of the trip to the cabin was perfect and incredibly scenic. 

An hour long ride and we were at our destination.  Soon we had the fire in, roasted a few wieners and were ready to enjoy some more sight-seeing. As we took off for the second time, I began to panic.  Did my son test before we left? Was I allowing him to drive when he could be under 5 (90)? What kind of a parent was I? How could I forget something like this? We are going for a good ride.  We will not be stopping ever ten minutes. I should have made sure he tested. Please Diabetes, give us a break and let us just enjoy the day!

At the next stop, the first words out of my mouth were "test".  He just gave me that casual look of, "I'm fine but if you say so."  He tested and was okay.  I felt a little better. I wanted to just leave Diabetes tossed off of the machine beside a snow drift but that couldn't be.  Stupid thing had to come with us.  We cruised around for the rest of the day, panic and Mommy concern popping up now and then.  I also was nervous about him being one of the boys and demonstrating how well he could handle a snow machine but that's just Mommy worry and par for the course.

As the day wound to a close, we were all exhausted from a day of wind, sun and crisp fresh air.  Diabetes had behaved quite well for a change. There were no lows.  There were no scary highs.  I knew that the night may not prove as positive and prayed that I would not fall into too deep of a sleep that night. After almost eleven years of this I still worry about over-sleeping.  There was no need to worry however, Larry's cold was more vicious than ever and his restless night allowed for me to be awake to test, to top up an almost low, and test again a little later. No disasters thankfully just great memories!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had fun and that "D" behaved! Those are wonderful days indeed!