Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Diabetes Christmas Gifts

Depending on where you live, you may already be inundated with Christmas music, Christmas decorations, and Christmas shopping lists. For some, November is way to early to be thinking of such things. For others, it’s the perfect time to get prepared.
 
Personally I fall into both categories. Every fiber of my being says, “No!! Stop!! Its way to early to even think of such things as Christmas.”  A tiny little voice however makes its way into my conscience and reminds me that while Christmas is just under a month away and many of my gifts have to be mailed.  This means that thinking about Christmas now so that I have gifts  bought and shipped before the 25th of December is not really a bad thing.
 
If you are like me, coming up with new and interesting gift ideas each year is a real challenge.  Many people buy what they really need when they need it and what sort of other “stuff” do you buy for them? Hopefully I can help with some gift ideas for those on your list that are involved in some way or other with diabetes.
 
Earlier in the year I was given the chance to review and read three great books.  Life is Short Laundry is Eternal by Scott Benner is the perfect gift to give to…well anyone! This book is not about diabetes, it’s about love.  It was a book that was absolutely not what I expected and brought an incredible array of emotions. I would still highly recommend it to anyone with a family or ever thinking about having a family.
 
The second book is a must read for all parents of children with diabetes.  Moira McCarthy’sRaising Teens with Diabetes is a great resource for parents of small children who wish to learn how to prepare for the teen years. This is also a great book for those of us knee-deep in the trenches of the terrible teens.
 
Finally, there was Gary Scheiner’s latest book Until there is a Cure.  Again, this was another fabulous book by a very knowledgeable man.  If you have someone on your list who is struggling to get this diabetes “stuff” figured out, this may well be the book for them.
 
If books are not the route that you want to go this Christmas, don’t forget that Diabetes Advocacy also has many great gift ideas.  Looking for a diabetes blanket? The website has one of those and its one of a kind (in fact I have lost the pattern sadly for those people who were wanting to make it themselves).  There are also bracelets and necklaces to fit all ages and sizes. You can add a diabetes ribbon or a diabetes charm to further personalize any of your accessories.
 
Yes that last part was a shameless plug but remember that it is the sales from the Diabetes Advocacy online store that pays for the costs associated with the work of Diabetes Advocacy. That being said, no one paid me to tell you about the books however, they asked me to review the books originally but my mentioning them again is just because I really think that they are great gift ideas!
 
Happy shopping everyone!
gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment