Thursday, December 1, 2011

Muscle Mayhem

After 24 hours of nagging and the threat of using a butt site for the first time in his life, my son finally did a site change.  I was lining up the top of his little toosh but he was not having any of that! The arm that he couldn't reach was to be the site of the day.

His reading a few hours later was a little higher than I would have liked but I attributed it a carb counting error.  I went to bed and around midnight I heard him get up to use the washroom.  Much to Larry's amazement, my son never needs to get up during the night...unless he is high.  Alarm bells screamed in my head while my body craved the warmth of the of my blankets.  I forced myself to get up and waited for him in his room.

I asked him to test.  I heard him say that he was 13 (235).  Oh well, false alarm. As I headed out his bedroom door but paused and  I said again, "13.1 right?"

"No 30.4(547)"

WHAT THE #!@^??????

Suddenly I was awake.  Its time to put in a new site NOW

I stumbled around and found a site.  As I opened it up, we realized that the tubing was way too short for his other arm.  Crap.  I grabbed another site.  I prepared the new site and had another revelation...I should be using 30 degree sites on his arms.

As I mentioned before, my son enjoys lifting weights in his spare time. He is not into body building but his sweet little arms are slowly developing into the muscled limbs of a healthy young man.  Baby fat is giving way to muscle and that muscle is creating havoc with infusion sets! He hates the 30 degree sets. The insertion needle gives him the willies.  He has to use them on his stomach because there is too much muscle there but he still hates them. Sadly it seems that that's the price you pay for being fit. I am sure he will think its worth it in the long run.

1 comment:

  1. ARGH...we can only use Joe's tush...he is ripped! I am waiting for a little subcutaneous tissue to become available on his abs soon. I hope!

    ReplyDelete