Monday, September 12, 2011

You want me to test how many times?!?

I took my son to the orthodontist first thing this morning. It had been a weekend of amazing diabetes readings and all was good with the world.

As we were returning to his school, I asked him if he knew what class he was supposed to be in at the moment.  He didn't but he did remember that he had sports during lunch. Since he has only had his class schedule for a few days I was not surprised that he didn't know where he was supposed to be. Since there would be sports though, I reminded him that he needed to test before and after the activity.

We did a quick recap of some of his classes and I noted that his gym classes occurred first period basically once a week. I then reminded him that he needed to test before and after gym class as well.

He looked at me with both shock and disgust. "You expect me to do nothing but test all day? How much do I really need to test?"

I wanted to laugh or slap some common sense into him but instead I just shook my head. "You test two hours after your meals, before you eat and before and after strenuous activity." 

"Yeah but now you want me to test an extra few hundred times."

"Nope.  We just said that gym is first thing in the morning. You have to test before gym which also happens to be about two hours after you have eaten your breakfast. No extra test required.  You have to test after gym. One spare test per week. As for lunchtime activities, you test before you eat...probably before the activity.  You test after the activity...again ONE extra test."

He grumbled and agreed but I knew that he still felt he was being abused.  He was being asked to lance himself unnecessarily and interfere with his school day. Sorry, but that is what keeps him safe and allows me information to keep him healthy.  More joys of teens, diabetes and trying to have a normal life!   

1 comment:

  1. I know that feeling. You are doing a great job though! I couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete