Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back to School is changing

Today is the first day back to school for my boys.  One is starting his last year of school and my youngest is entering grade 9.  Where did the time go? It seems like just yesterday I was sending my oldest to preschool and now I am looking into university costs.

There are some good things about time moving forward though.  This year I do not have the stress that I had last year.  I spent the end of last year getting my oldest son's classes in order. This fall my son with diabetes is a year older, has most of the same teachers and the same principal.  The school now has two children with diabetes and hopefully much more awareness than they did one year ago.  

I will still be in touch with the school. I will offer a refresher course for those who heard me last year and education for those who might be new.  My son has his phone and alarms put back on his pump.  I will hope that a new year will mean a new adherence to those alarms and more information for Mom (but I am not holding my breath!) 

Its not just in our own world that we are seeing changes. I used to dread this time of the year because of the many phone calls and emails that I would receive.  Families were struggling to get the support that they required for their children with diabetes in schools.  Mothers would call me in tears, frustrated by the lack of support. Today there are many more boards who have policies regarding the care of children with diabetes in their schools.  There are more provinces that are looking out for our children. There are more parents standing up and asking for schools to "get it" and more schools are!

Each year I speak about sending your children to school with diabetes.  Each year I prepare educators and parents.  As time as gone on, I am pleased to see that things are changing.  Parents are sending their children back to school with comprehensive diabetes care plans and the knowledge that they will be adhered to.  Educators are offering aids and assistance where they can. The transitions are smoother than they once were.

This has been a long road.  We still have many miles to travel to protect all children with diabetes in schools.  As someone who has been on this road for ten years now, believe me when I say that we have come a long way.  We have made changes and together, we will work to make many more.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck this school year!! I am sure he is going to have a great year and learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete