Friday, March 9, 2012

Think of it like my birthday...

My son began to pile his site change supplies on the table. I was impressed. He was a day late for his site change but finally, without a lot of nagging from his mother, he was going to change his site!

"Don't forget to bolus for that soup first before you do your site change."

"I can't. I am out of insulin."

"What? What do you mean you are out of insulin?"

"I'm out of insulin.  Why do you think I am doing a site change?"

"Ah, maybe because it was due YESTERDAY!?"

My son looked at me like I was insane. I rolled my eyes and proceeded to continue on dealing with things that I had to do.

"Where are you going? You can't leave. I need you to do my site change."

"Why do you need me? Where are you putting your site?"

"In my leg."

Now it was my turn to look at him like he was nuts.  "You don't need me to do a leg site.  You are perfectly capable."

"Yes, but Mom, you realize that you only have four more years to do site changes for me. I will turn 18 and move on and you will never have this opportunity again.  You should be savoring these times just like you say how important it is to share each birthday with me before I leave home. Actually, think of these site changes as being just like my birthday but every three days.  Treasure them. In fact, we can make it like my birthday if you want. You can even buy me presents for each site change done!"

His logic is interesting if nothing else!

Note to self, do not tell him how important it is to value time spent with a loved one again. Our idea of quality time seems to be a very different!

3 comments:

  1. oh that's funny! i hate when things come back to bite my bum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!!! OMG he is precious. Love his idea of "quality time" Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This boy knows how to influence people already.... it's a great trait and it will take him far. Well, he's got me convinced. We still do our DD's site changes, and she is around the same age as your son. She's capable, but she takes on all of her own D care when she is on her own that we take over when she is home. I think they can so easily get burned out. We still share the burden at this point. In another two years, we will have to let go; she will have to take on yet even more responsibility. We will have to train her to do the night checks, probably half a year before college starts. That is the hardest for me to accept; that they will have to function on interrupted sleep. I agree with your son; he needs a mini-vacation and I'm sure he appreciates it when you help him out.

    ReplyDelete