Wednesday, June 27, 2012

High Urine...A D-Momma Rant

"Your A1c is good.  Your thyroid is fine. Your urine is high. Are you supposed to have a 24 hour urine collection done?" Our nurse asked us and both of us were unsure. 


I was still trying to process.  Did she say "your urine is high"?  High in what? That isn't good. Nothing is supposed to be high. Why was she asking about the 24 hour test? She did say high urine didn't she? 


My mind was reeling but I tried not to overly concern my son. He was less than worried. I was sure that there was not a problem but why did she say high? 


What was high? Isn't that protein levels? Isn't that bad.  Doesn't that indicate kidney issues? 


We have been dealing with diabetes for over 12 years but my son is only 14.  There could not be a problem. I had to be over-reacting.


His A1c's have always been great. There is no problem. It was just a fluke. 


My son said "Didn't Grandma die of kidney failure?" 


Yes, but I explained that his previous doctor did not feel it was something for us to be concerned about. 


Crap! I have tweeted. I have gone to my trusty CWD parents list and I have chatted with my peeps on Facebook. I am doing my best to go, "yep, it showed up but that doesn't mean anything." (and people are telling me that it does not mean a lot. Even the worse case it is still very treatable with modern medication).


But...Crap I hate this disease! I hate the stress. I hate the fact that I even have to consider that this could be a problem. My son is not yet 15 years old. His kidneys should be lovely, not constantly warding off potential danger because of Type 1 diabetes. 


Okay, that is vented. I will get it out of my head and pray that they don't call back looking for more urine either way. No matter what, at least we live in a time when doctors are able to be proactive about these things. 

1 comment:

  1. I recently figured out I have a rare genetic disorder that puts my kidneys at 50% risk and 12% failure in my lifetime. Watch out for any medications that are hard on the kidneys, such as NSAIDS and strong painkillers.

    I'm already at the osteopenia in bone density so I have to watch out from that end as well. The doctors are baffled with the correct way to proceed with me since there's so many things I can't take to prevent the things that are causing problems. But the kidneys - if its proteins in the urine, make sure to watch for that for sure!

    ReplyDelete