Sunday, April 1, 2012

Our Diabetes Time Capsule!

For the month of April I will be trying to take part in  "The Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge" hosted by WEGO Health. The goal is to write a post a day for 30 days...holy cow can I do this???  If you want to challenge yourself as well, sign up here: http://info.wegohealth.com/HAWMC2012 and you'll be able to torture yourself  start posting once April 1st.


I have been asked to create a diabetes time capsule that will not be opened until 2112.  That's one hundred years from now! What will they think of the items that we use today? Will there have been a cure? So many questions but they will be answered in 100 years. Today my job is to pack this capsule....

First thing is our beloved Cozmo pump.  We still have our very first pump.  Will they know what it was used for? It seems so small, but I hope it will be obsolete by the time this is opened.

We also have to have the infusion set and mastisol for sticking the sites on. I should also have a cartridge to put the insulin in as well as a battery...just in case it still works in 100 years!


We need a bottle of insulin. I know I have an empty vial here somewhere.
If the pump fails...well I might as well put in a spare syringe. It is so small compared to years before.

A meter is also a must...which one to chose? We have a large collection.  The One Touch Ultra Minis seem to be my son's favorite so I will add one of those.  Test strips will not be difficult to find...they are everywhere!

A glucagon kit is a necessary evil that we have thankfully never had to use but the glucose tablets are a staple that we rely on often.


I think we are ready. That is about everything we could need...Everything that a family living with Type 1 diabetes in 2012 uses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment