Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sometimes your the bug...

In honor of "throw back Thursday", here is a post from June of 2009...

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

Today I am definitely feeling like the bug. It was after midnight and of course I was dying to get to sleep. I set my alarm for early next morning...my boys' last day of school. I found a meter and a strip. I grabbed a lancet, waded through all of the junk that my youngest son had left on the stairs to his room rather than putting away and was off to test. One last check for a few hours. One check and I could sleep! We had been out for pizza to celebrate good grades so I was sure that he would still be high. He had been 16 (288) earlier so I was certain that I was going to be able to rest.

Wrong! I took the meter. I filled his finger with blood. The strip refused to suck. What the???? Okay, I cleaned the finger. I got more blood. I tried again. It just barely accepted the blood. I waited for the reading...E5. Error! Not enough blood. Oh the lovely four letter words that were on the tip of my tongue as I headed back downstairs again. I would try this one more time.

New meter. This one had to be better. New strip. Same lancing device. Back up the stairs, this time grumbling and picking up items as I went. I threw the items off to the side for my young son to deal with tomorrow and headed to his bed. Once again, I lance his finger. Once again, I got a large amount of blood. The strip sucked this time. I walked towards the stairs not even considering that I might have to correct. Good thing...he was 3.2 (57)! More choice words as I shuffled off to get some juice. I filled a glass, found a straw and went back upstairs for a third time in less than five minutes.

My son was not keen on drinking. I finally got him to sip. He drank t all except the last few drops which fly out of the straw and all over his pillow.  My cream pillow cases now have spots of red strawberry juice on them! I am choked. I hate diabetes. I clean the pillow cases as best as I can and then I wait. Why are 15 minutes a lifetime when you are dead tired and simply want this day to end?

Yeah! 5.5 (99) and I was off to bed for two hours. Oh the fun! Oh the joys! Oh where is my DexCom Seven Plus????

No comments:

Post a Comment