Friday, September 7, 2012

The importance of time changes

As you know if you read my blog regularly,  we were recently on the west coast for a bit.  That means changing our bodies and our clocks back 4.5 hours.  Its a bit of a challenge for the first few days but my son's teenage body can sleep until noon in any time zone!

The challenge for Mom was how to deal with his pump.  I have spoken to people before who do not bother to change their time on their pumps if they are not going to be away for very long. We were gone for about 10 days so I felt that a change was needed. I gave his body two days to adjust and then reset the time on  his pump. All seemed to work fine. 

When we came home I reminded my son to set his pump back to local time. He did as he was told and I thought nothing more of it...until we had a site issue.  

My son was high and he needed a site change.  As he dug out his supplies, I looked through his pump history. He hadn't bolused since 6am!!??? What the?? Before I yelled, I realized that we ate supper at 6pm.  His pump was 12 hours off! That was a huge problem.  His highest basals were being delivered in the middle of the day rather than at night.  His insulin to carb ratios were completely off. There was no way he could possibly be in range with all of this out of whack!

I made the quick change and waited for everything to return to a more reasonable normal.  Its amazing how one little thing like am versus pm can make such a huge difference in your life! 

Time changes? Who invented them and why must they be so painful on all levels...especially when Diabetes lives with you.  

This is our "Where's Waldo shot?"  Can you find the teen with diabetes in the trees? 
  

4 comments:

  1. Oh MY!!! Time changes can mess with you BIG TIME. We have also had school bump up Joe's snack time...His ratios are 1:10 for breakfast...1:45 for snack...I used to have it change to the 1:45 @ 9am... the class was eating snack at 8:45...so he was getting the stronger ratio...and thus going low. Took me a couple of days to figure that one out. Fun Times. Not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make things worse, I found out that when we changed the time back, we changed the date!! I was fighting with him stating that he had not done a site change when required only to find out that the pump thought we were a day behind. Time is NOT diabetes' friend and a parent's nightmare :(

      Delete
  2. I've totally done this before! What made me crazy was that I hadn't even noticed any difference in my blood sugars, even though my basal profiles were 12 hours off! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete