Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Zombies Really are Scary!

I woke up unusually refreshed and knowing that it was time to test.  I glanced at the clock at saw that it was 2am as I headed out across the hall.  I was shocked when I saw that in the next room was a young man sitting up in his bed. 

"What are you doing awake?" 
No response.  He was staring at the blinking blue light on the floor coming from his video game system.

"What are you watching?"
Again, no response.

Okay, what the heck is going on here? I grabbed the meter from his dresser and prepared for the worst. 

He finally mumbled something unintelligible and laid down.

I tried to breathe.  I grabbed his hand and felt that it was cold and damp.  That could not be good. As I lanced his finger, the blood was slow to come out.  In our world that is a sure sign that he is low.  When he is high the blood pours out like water but when he's low it seems more thick and hard to test.

I waited those five seconds for the reading. (Have I mentioned how much I love the improved technology over the past ten years?)  He was low.  Off to get the juice. The straw touched his lips and he began to drink.  Thank heavens for small miracles. 

I headed off to read for 15 minutes or so while waiting to see if he would go up.  He did but not enough for me to feel comfortable.  A little more sugar before my sleep. 

The next morning he remembered nothing. To him it was funny...and in an odd way it was.  He was like something from a Halloween horror movie and in any other context it might have been amusing.  Since we were dealing with diabetes and a low though I didn't find it quite as amusing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment