Sunday, July 8, 2012

A stroll down Diabetes Memory Lane


In time for the last day of the Children with Diabetes Friends For Life Florida Conference...


It must be spring.  There is still snow flying around outside and my winter boots were on my feet today but I have noticed a restlessness in the air.  I was reading a blog in which the author felt that maybe she was not doing enough in the diabetes community despite raising awareness and entertaining many of us. 

I have had that same feeling in the pit of my stomach.  That question of what are you doing and more importantly--how do you do it better?  I have yet to have any great epiphanies but it did motivate me to start a new project. I decided to "tweak" my website. I am seriously thinking about completely rebuilding and cleaning up the current format.  I found a search engine to make looking through the site that much easier but I still have to decide what my spring website look should be.  In the meantime, I decided that a movie of some of our greatest memories would be in order for the home page

I began a journey back in time as I looked through old photos.  I truly hate Diabetes with a capital H but the warm memories I found in the pictures really helped to ease the pain. I found pictures of a trip we went on to New York.  Many of our online diabetes friends got together and we had a fabulous day at the beach.  There was no awkward time of getting to know one another.  We instantly had known each other for years and the day was amazing.  

I found pictures of our trip across Canada.  Again, there were photos of the many friends we met along our travels.  There was a barbeque in Ottawa, a night in the interior of B.C.  as well as introducing Rufus, the bear with diabetes, to many of our family members. 

As I dug around, I found the photos of our trip to Friends for Life in Florida.  I remember again, sitting down to drinks with "old" friends and having my son disappear with his pals to enjoy his vacation.  There was basketball and Disney World rides for him.  There was pump failure and great contacts for my other son and I.  We found out that the best place in the world to have a pump malfunction was at a CWD Friends for Life conference.  The friends and resources you will find are second to none!

I came across pictures from our Friends for Life Canada conferences and began to look forward to reconnecting with old friends again this summer.  There were walk photos and I remained amazed at the generosity and enthusiasm of so many amazing people.

I still don't know how I will tweak the site.  I still am working on getting the movie completed and online.  I have however had a day filled with smiles and wonderful memories.  Thanks to all of the great people in our lives who helped create these memories and so many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment